Go to Brad DeLong's Home Page
Although "really existing socialism" has already receded into a distance which confers upon it the nostalgic magic of a postmodern lost object, some of us still recall a well-known joke about what really existing socialism is:
A social system that is the dialectical synthesis of all human history.
- From the prehistoric classless society, it took primitivism
- from antiquity, slave labor
- from medieval feudalism, ruthless domination
- from capitalism, exploitation
- and from socialism, its name.
--from Slavoj Zizek, Tarrying with The Negative, pp. 148-153.
of Economics J. Bradford DeLong, 601 Evans Hall, #3880
University of California at Berkeley
Berkeley, CA 94720-3880
(510) 643-4027 phone (510) 642-6615 fax
This document: http://www.j-bradford-delong.net/Politics/Zizek.html