For reasons that I do not understand, there has been a recent spurt of newpaper and news magazine articles in praise of good economists--people who are very smart, very thoughtful, and very interested in trying to make economic policy better. Such articles include:
- one on Princeton international economist Paul Krugman from Newsweek.
- As everyone knows, I am a huge fan and admirer of M.I.T. economist Paul Krugman (even given occasional... erratic moments, like his unprovoked and unfair comments on the very capable Laura D'A. Tyson in 1992-1993).
- This is my favorite Krugman essay: "An Unequal Exchange".
- one on the Berkeley Economics Department from The Wall Street Journal.
- one on Harvard economic historian Claudia Goldin from The Wall Street Journal.
- The Wall Street Journal also has profiles of George Borjas and of Fred Bergsten that I do not have copies of.
- A not-so-serious toast in praise of my ex-freshman-roommate and very good friend Andrei Shleifer, 1999 recipient of the Clark Medal awarded biennially to the most outstanding economist under forty.